Fidelia Soriwei, Abuja

The Imole Campaign Council has launched a post-election review of violence linked to the recently concluded Osun State governorship election, directing its structures across the state’s 30 local government areas to compile records of affected victims.
The initiative comes two days after Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party was declared winner of the governorship poll, having secured 511,067 votes to defeat the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Oyebamiji.
In a statement issued on Monday by its spokesperson, Pelumi Olajengbesi, the council said the exercise would cover incidents that occurred before, during and immediately after the election.
According to the council, the documentation process will include persons who lost their lives, sustained injuries, suffered property damage or experienced other forms of election-related violence.
“Every victim must be documented. Importantly, this exercise is not party-focused. Every victim must be documented irrespective of political affiliation, party membership or voting preference.
“Violence against any citizen diminishes us all, and no family should be forgotten simply because of their political persuasion,” the statement said.
The council stressed that the exercise would not be limited to supporters of Adeleke or members of the Accord Party.
It directed its local government structures to submit comprehensive and verifiable records of affected persons for further assessment and possible action.
The election followed weeks of political tension and reports of violent incidents in parts of the state, including the killing of an Accord Party supporter, Ajayi Aderogba, popularly known as Rogba, in Esa-Oke in June.
The campaign council had previously alleged that several of its supporters were killed, injured or detained during the electioneering period and had called for investigations into the incidents.
In its latest statement, however, the council broadened the scope of the review to include all victims, regardless of political affiliation.
“This exercise must capture persons who sustained injuries, families who lost loved ones, persons whose properties were damaged or destroyed, and other identifiable victims of election-related violence,” the statement added.
The council said that while it was grateful for the outcome of the election, the suffering of victims and their families should not be overlooked.
“While we are grateful to God and to the people of Osun State for the outcome of the election, we recognise that our victory cannot erase the pain of families who suffered losses or injuries in the course of the electoral process.
“The election is over. Our common humanity must now take precedence over political differences. Osun comes first.”
