Wednesday, August 19, 2026
HomeCrimeArmy Arrests 18 Suspected Illegal Miners, Recovers N2.4 Million in Niger Crackdown

Army Arrests 18 Suspected Illegal Miners, Recovers N2.4 Million in Niger Crackdown

Fidelia Soriwei, Abuja

The Nigerian Army has arrested 18 suspected illegal miners and recovered cash and equipment linked to unauthorised mining activities during an operation in Niger State, in a move aimed at strengthening efforts to combat illegal mining in Nigeria.

The suspects were apprehended by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion at a mining site in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area, where soldiers uncovered alleged illegal mining operations.

Following the operation, the Army handed over the suspects and recovered exhibits to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, in line with inter-agency procedures.

The development comes as security and regulatory agencies intensify measures to tackle illegal mining, a challenge linked to revenue losses, environmental damage and the unlawful exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources.

Speaking on the development, the Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, commended the Nigerian Army for its role in the operation.

“The Nigerian Army has once again distinguished itself through professionalism, discipline and patriotism. The swift arrest of the suspects and their prompt handover to the Mining Marshals reflect a commendable commitment to the rule of law and the protection of Nigeria’s solid mineral resources,” Attah said.

According to preliminary investigations, the suspects allegedly operated without mining licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company.

Investigators also said the individuals failed to provide evidence of valid mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities.

Items recovered from the site included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash amounting to N2,468,750.

Attah reiterated the commitment of the Mining Marshals to enforcing mining regulations and ensuring that those involved in illegal mining activities face prosecution.

He added that the Corps, under the leadership of Commandant-General Prof Ahmed Audi, would continue intelligence-driven operations aimed at protecting Nigeria’s solid mineral resources and strengthening compliance within the mining sector.

The Mining Marshals disclosed that investigations had been concluded and that the suspects were being processed for prosecution in accordance with the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments

SiteLock Jojobet Girişparmabet girişjojobet girişcasibom girişGüncel ve Resmi Casibomcasibomcasibom