Wednesday, August 19, 2026
HomeNewsBreaking: Gunmen Open Fire on Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

Breaking: Gunmen Open Fire on Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

By Kamsi Anayo 

Gov. Ademola Adeleke of Osun State was attacked by gunmen shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, sparking an exchange of gunfire between the assailants and the governor’s security personnel.

The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke visited the monarch after his receipt of the Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo, after his re-election as governor.

Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State INEC headquarters.

Though, the state police command is yet to confirm the incident, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

As of 4:45 p.m., sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, while several businesses remained shut amid fears of further violence.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, after which Adeleke presented his Certificate of Return to the traditional ruler.

She said the situation turned tense shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch offered prayers.

According to the eyewitness, Adeleke had already exited the palace hall through an entrance traditionally reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when gunshots suddenly rang out.

She said the attackers reportedly arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked the convoy had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo,” she said.

The eyewitness said the gun battle lasted between 12 and 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she added.

The motive behind the attack was not immediately clear as of the time of filing this report.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments

SiteLock Jojobet Girişparmabet girişjojobet girişcasibom girişGüncel ve Resmi Casibomcasibomcasibomholiganbet giriş