Fidelia Soriwei, Abuja

The Defence Headquarters has alerted the public to an unauthorised access of its official X account.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, said measures had been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised activity.
“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.
“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement read.
Uba said efforts were ongoing to regain full control of the account and urged the public to ignore any suspicious or misleading posts that might appear during the period.
“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account. Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.
He reaffirmed the commitment of the Defence Headquarters to information security and the dissemination of accurate information on the activities of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary.”
The Defence Headquarters also advised members of the public to obtain official information through its verified communication channels, including its Facebook page, Instagram account and WhatsApp channel, pending the full restoration of the X account.
