Fidelia Soriwei, Abuja

Senator Natasha Akpoti has called on security agencies to intensify efforts to secure the release of schoolchildren and teachers abducted in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, following the circulation of disturbing images showing victims allegedly being tortured in captivity.
The senator made the appeal in a statement issued on Friday, May 22, 2026, in reaction to the viral photos and videos linked to the abduction of more than 40 pupils and teachers during the attack.
Recalling the incident, she expressed deep concern over the condition of the victims and urged urgent intervention from security agencies.
She wrote: “On the 15th of May 2026, over 40 children and teachers were kidnapped from a school in Oriire LG, Oyo State.”
She added: “These are the children… beaten up to induce pressure.”
“My heart bleeds 💔.”
Addressing the abductors, she appealed for restraint and mercy.
“To the kidnappers… show mercy…these are innocent babies.”
She also called for swift action from security agencies.
“Nigeria Police Force, HQ Nigerian Army step up!!!”
The development has intensified nationwide outrage over the coordinated attacks on schools in the Esiele community, where armed assailants invaded Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School, abducting pupils, teachers, and other residents.
One of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later killed in captivity, heightening fears over the fate of remaining victims.
President Bola Tinubu had earlier directed security agencies to intensify rescue operations and ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.
“The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” the President said through his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.
Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed that seven students were abducted from Community Secondary School, while 18 pupils and seven teachers were taken from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School during the attacks.
The Oyo State Police Command also confirmed the arrest of six suspects linked to the operation, some of whom are suspected informants who allegedly guided the attackers through routes within the surrounding forest reserve.
The Defence Headquarters identified the attackers as members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad group displaced from other regions due to sustained military operations.
According to the Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, the group carried out the attack after being dislodged from former strongholds.
“The recent incidence of kidnap in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” the statement said.
The incident has sparked renewed public anger, with civil society groups and labour leaders condemning reports that abductors have circulated torture videos to pressure authorities and families.
Security agencies say rescue operations are ongoing despite challenges, including improvised explosive devices and the use of victims as human shields by the attackers.
