Fidelia Soriwei, Abuja

The Anambra State Police Command has arrested Assistant Superintendent of Police, Newton Isokpehi, after a viral video showed him threatening to kill anyone who filmed him while on duty.
The command confirmed on Thursday that internal disciplinary proceedings had commenced against the officer following widespread outrage triggered by the video, which circulated on X, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok.
In the footage, Isokpehi, speaking in Pidgin English, threatened to “clear everybody down,” including bystanders near anyone recording him during official duty.
Reacting to the controversy, the Anambra State Police Command identified the officer as ASP Newton Isokpehi, attached to the command, and said he had been taken into custody.
In a statement signed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Ngozi Ezeabata, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Ikioye Orutugu, the command said swift action was taken immediately after the video surfaced online.
“Following a prompt review of the video, the Command immediately identified and arrested the officer involved. The officer is an Assistant Superintendent of Police, ASP Newton Isokpehi, serving in the Command.
“In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force, internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer,” the statement read.
The command disclosed that the officer had also undergone a drug test as part of investigations into the incident.
“As part of the ongoing investigation, the officer has also been subjected to a drug test to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process,” it added.
Commissioner of Police Ikioye Orutugu condemned the officer’s conduct, describing it as unprofessional and inconsistent with the standards of the Nigeria Police Force.
“The Commissioner of Police strongly condemns the conduct displayed by the officer in the video and reiterates that the Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that will not condone misconduct, abuse of office, incitement, or any form of unprofessional behaviour capable of undermining public trust and confidence,” the statement read.
The command assured residents that the outcome of the disciplinary process would be made public and any officer found culpable would face appropriate sanctions.
It also reminded officers and men of the command to remain professional and emotionally balanced while carrying out their duties.
“The Command appreciates members of the public, civil society groups, and social media users who continue to assist the Police with credible information capable of improving service delivery and accountability,” the statement added.
Meanwhile, Isokpehi has apologised to Nigerians over the viral threat, insisting that his comments were made out of frustration and not an actual intention to harm anyone.
In a follow-up video posted on his TikTok page on Thursday, the officer appealed directly to rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu and members of the public for forgiveness.
“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening. These things are painful,” he said.
He maintained that he was not against members of the public recording police officers.
“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty. They have taken it too far,” he said.
The officer, who said he had spent 12 years in the Mobile Police Force, also displayed multiple gunshot wounds on his body while speaking about his years in active service.
“Look at my body, these are all bullets. These are all gunshot wounds. See my chest, bullet has eaten into it. Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation,” he said.
On his earlier threat, Isokpehi insisted he never intended to kill anyone.
“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he added.
