•••Directs IGP to Lead Rescue Operations

Fidelia Soriwei, Abuja
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has condemned the killing of one of the teachers abducted during last Friday’s attack on schools in Oyo State.
The President who described the be-heading of the teacher as barbaric assured that security agencies are intensifying efforts to rescue the remaining victims.
The President’s spoke in a statement issued on Monday by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on May 18, 2026.
The President’s reaction followed the coordinated invasion of schools in the Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area, where gunmen abducted pupils, students and school workers, triggering panic across affected communities and renewed concerns over insecurity in rural schools.
The attackers stormed Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School during the operation on May 11, 2026.
“President Bola Tinubu has condemned as barbaric the reported killing of one of the abducted teachers from the Esiele community in Oyo State, while the rescue operation is underway,” the statement said.
It added, “Bandits invaded the Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State last Friday.
“They abducted staff, students, and pupils of Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School and L.A. Primary School.”
The Presidency stated that security agencies had already launched coordinated operations to rescue the victims and track down those responsible for the attack.
“Security operatives are working around the clock to rescue the victims and apprehend the bandits and their collaborators within the community,” the statement added.
Tinubu also sympathised with the families of the victims and the Oyo State Government, while commending efforts already taken by Governor Seyi Makinde in response to the incident.
“I sympathise with Governor Seyi Makinde and commend the steps he has taken on the matter. I sympathise with the families of the kidnapped victims,” the President stated.
He said the Federal Government was collaborating with the Oyo State Government and security agencies to secure the release of all those still in captivity.
“The Federal Government is working with the Oyo State government to rescue all the victims. I commend the Inspector-General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in Oyo and Kwara States for their quick intervention and the deployment of a tactical and the Intelligence Response Team (IRT) team to rescue the victims,” Tinubu said.
The President further disclosed that the Inspector-General of Police was personally supervising the operation on his directive.
“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” he added.
Tinubu also renewed his support for the establishment of state police, arguing that the growing cases of kidnapping across underserved communities highlighted the need for decentralised policing.
“Cases of kidnapping further make imperative the establishment of state police to man some of our underserved areas.
“The National Assembly should accelerate the enactment of the law creating state police,” the President concluded.
